Networker

Re: [Networker] Can scanner read Oracle data?

2011-09-04 16:52:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] Can scanner read Oracle data?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 16:50:40 -0400
On 2011-09-03 05:41, bingo wrote:
Hi George,

scanner has 2 capabilities:
   - it can extract NW index (database) information and insert it into the
media and/or client file index respectively.
   - it can recover files using the appropriate ASM (application specific
module)

However, uasm is the file backup/recovery ASM which is the wrong one for the
online backup of databases. So for recoveries/verifications etc. of a database
you must use the appropriate tool/module. Consequently you received the error.

Just think about NW itself. To backup and recover the media index, it uses a
specific 'module' which is nsrmmdbasm. There is still the nsrindexasm for the
client file index databases which have been created before NW 6.0 - just in
case such old stuff needs to be recovered.

If you really need to verify a backup, cloning is the best method - you verify
the backup and you create a duplicate for additional security. If you already
clone, you already have 2 valid instances of your backup data.

Thanks, Bingo! That's what I suspected, but wanted to corroborate. Your technical explanation was very helpful. I appreciate your input.

One interesting thing that I noticed is that even though the index save sets are listed in the media database with names like: index:client, as opposed to /opt/nsr/index/client (which is where they actually live on the server), uasm maintains the pathname when recovering them regardless of whether I redirect the recovered pathname (uasm -m src=dst). So I end up with a local 'opt/nsr/index/client' and not just client or 'dst/opt/nsr/index/client' if I redirect them. Maybe no surprise, but I tested recovering an index (again, just for laughs), using scanner with uasm, a while back, and I could have sworn that it did not recreate that whole path and instead simply recovered the index as './client'. Hmm ...

Cheers.

George

|This was sent by carsten_reinfeld AT avus-cr DOT de via Backup Central.

George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
- The preceding message is personal and does not reflect any official or unofficial position of the United States Department of Commerce -