Networker

Re: [Networker] Mixed Media Discussion

2011-08-26 01:50:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Mixed Media Discussion
From: Tim Kimball <Tim.Kimball AT SUNGARD DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 05:45:42 +0000
Quick update to this, now that I've got some info (and quotes) from Oracle.

1) The SL-48 we want to do this on *can* be partitioned for free, I've not seen
the option due to not having the correct drive layout.

2) SL-48 has an option to check media ID on the barcode, and immediately reject
a mount request if its not sent to the correct drive type.

So, those two items give us a lot more flexibility (and safety) in setting up
the migration.

Thanks all,
--TSK

-----===== begin quote =====-----

So all the advice you've received here is good. As Frank said, you have
to create separate pools for your LTO-4 drives and tapes and your LTO-3
drives and tapes. And as Bingo pointed out, mixed media is not supported
and you have to control the loads for operations like labeling and
restores. Left to its own devices (pun intended), NetWorker may well try
to insert an LTO-4 tape into an LTO-3 drive. That wouldn't be
catastrophic. No data would be overwritten, but the drive may end up in
Service Mode.

Good luck!

Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.