Networker

Re: [Networker] NW 7.6.2 and the DISASTER_RECOVERY: saveset

2011-08-24 00:30:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] NW 7.6.2 and the DISASTER_RECOVERY: saveset
From: David Stes <stes AT PANDORA DOT BE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 06:27:36 +0200
(michael.jones2 AT EMC DOT COM saying):
One thing we are working on in the next release is the ability for file level +recoveries from DR backups and the ability to perform incremental backups on +top of those DR backups. This would solve your issues as while E:\ is +considered a critical volume for DR purposes, the DR backup would support +standard filesystem recoveries from this backup, avoiding the issue of having +to backup the user data on E:\ drive twice.

This is excellent news. Currently the NW 7.6 SP2 OSSR logic already seems to work fine and it seems a big improvement compared to NW 7.5.

It's true that you risk volumes being identified as 'critical volume' (which at first may appear strange).

However, when you use Windows Server Backup (WSB) these volumes are typically also identified as 'critical volume' when NetWorker identifies them as such ...

So I have the impression that usually it is more a Windows issue (with several Microsoft bulletins about it) rather than a NetWorker issue.

David.