Networker

[Networker] NMDA Oracle RMAN backups fail only when when nsrexecd is running

2011-08-18 11:45:11
Subject: [Networker] NMDA Oracle RMAN backups fail only when when nsrexecd is running
From: Paul Robertson <probertson AT UNIXWAY DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 11:41:38 -0400
We're running oracle backups via NMDA 1.1 on Solaris x86, and we've
run into an odd issue. First, the client details:

  $ uname -a
  SunOS client 5.10 Generic_142910-17 i86pc i386 i86pc

  $ pkginfo -x LGTOclnt
  LGTOclnt  NetWorker Client
            (i386) 7.6.2.2.Build.651

  $ pkginfo -x LGTOnmda
  LGTOnmda  NetWorker Module for Databases and Applications
            (i386) 1.1 [LNMs_2010.Build.231]

The NSR server is a Solaris 10 sparc server running 7.6.2.2.Build.651.

The issue we see is that Oracle backups via NMDA succeed only when the
nsrexecd process is not running. When nsrexecd is running, we get the
following error in the RMAN logs:

  RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on ch00 channel at 08/17/2011 15:57:04
  ORA-19506: failed to create sequential file, name="09mk7rku_1_1", parms=""
  ORA-27028: skgfqcre: sbtbackup returned error
  ORA-19511: Error received from media manager layer, error text:
  lnm_index_cfx_connect retry failed. See previous error messages. (3:3:11)
  channel ch00 disabled, job failed on it will be run on another channel

We didn't have this issue with the older NMO 5.X package. So now we have to
start nsrexecd to do "normal" filesystem backups, and then stop it to run
the RMAN NMDA backups -- clearly not an optimal approach :-)

In case it's relevant, the client is a Solaris non-global zone. Let me know
if you need any additional information, but any insight is
appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul