Networker

[Networker] Networker Keep alive issues

2011-08-08 06:12:19
Subject: [Networker] Networker Keep alive issues
From: Kenneth Larsen <kel AT STERIA DOT DK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 12:09:02 +0200
Hi ya all

Our setup:

Central backup management server: 10.118.15.100 Windows 2008R2
Storage node: 10.118.15.75      Linux Red Hat 5 64bit
client: 192.168.149.20          Red Hat Linux 5 64bit

We are having issues with backup throug our Cisco firewalls. We our
clients with 2 simultanious client connection each. We have tried setting
keep alive to 5 minuts to ensure the connection from being reset/cut-off
by the firewall.

On our Linux client we add the following to client startup script
/etc/init.d/networker

NSR_KEEPALIVE_WAIT=300
export NSR_KEEPALIVE_WAIT

Upon starting the client backup we see

2 Connections from Client -> nsrmmd on Storage_Node
2 Connections from Mgmt Server -> nsrexecd on Client (port 7937)
1 Connection from Client -> nsrindexd on Mgmt Server
2 Connection from Client -> nsrd on Mgmt Server (port 8696)

After setting the NSR_KEEPALIVE_WAIT the top 3 is kept alive through the
firewall, we see the the idle time counter inside the Cisco firewall are
returned to zero each 5 minuts (300 Sec.) - as expected.
But it has no effect on the last 2 connection (nsrd on Mgmt Server (port
8696)) - these seem to ignore the keep-alive. And at som point the
connection is lost and the backup fails.

In the course of investigating we have tried to set the system-wide
tcp-keep-alive to 5 minuts also - via setting "net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time
= 300". When this is set the idle time counter inside the Cisco firewall
are returned to zero each 5 minuts for all connections, which is to be
expected. And then the backup is completed without problems.

The problem is - that we do not want to set a system-wide setting to fix a
problem with one application, as it affects other applications. Could you
inform us which setting or environment variable we need to set to get
Networker to do keepalive on the connection (Client -> nsrd on Mgmt Server
(port 8696)) ?

In the network / firewall guide, there is no other parameters to set.

We testet and after we set the system wide keep alive, all backups run
fine...

Med venlig hilsen / Regards
Kenneth Larsen
System Konsulent

Steria A/S
Tonsbakken 16-18
2740 Skovlunde
Mobile: +45 2630 6261
email: kel AT steria DOT dk
www.steria.dk

Om Steria: www.steria.dk

Steria leverer IT-baserede forretningsløsninger og services, der effektiviserer
private og offentlige organisationer. Steria adresserer sine kunders
udfordringer med innovative løsninger ved at kombinere dyb viden om kundernes
forretningsprocesser med egen ekspertise inden for IT og Business Process
Outsourcing. Gennem et konsultativt samarbejde ændres kundernes processer
således, at kunderne får mulighed for at fokusere på det, de er bedst til.
Sterias mere end 19.000 medarbejdere i 16 lande arbejder med at supportere
systemer, services og processer, som får verden til at fungere og indvirker på
millioner af menneskers liv over hele kloden hver dag.
Steria blev grundlagt i 1969, har kontorer i Europa, Indien, Afrika og Asien og
en omsætning i 2010 på 13 mia. kr. Sterias medarbejderne ejer 20 % af aktierne.
Steria har 185 medarbejdere i Danmark fordelt på kontorer i København og Århus.

About Steria: www.steria.com

Steria delivers IT enabled business services which help organisations in the
public and private sectors operate more efficiently and profitably. By
combining in depth understanding of our clients’ businesses with expertise in
IT and business process outsourcing, we take on our clients’ challenges and
develop innovative solutions to address them. Through our highly collaborative
consulting style, we work with our clients to transform their business,
enabling them to focus on what they do best. Our 19,334 people, working across
16 countries, support the systems, services and processes that make today’s
world turn, touching the lives of millions around the globe each day.
Founded in 1969, Steria has offices in Europe, India, North Africa and SE Asia
and a 2010 revenue of €1.69 billion. 20% of Steria’s capital is owned by its
employees. Headquartered in Paris, Steria is listed on the Euronext Paris
market.