Networker

[Networker] Managing encryption keys for offsite storage

2011-07-21 13:05:38
Subject: [Networker] Managing encryption keys for offsite storage
From: "Clark, Patti" <clarkp AT OSTI DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 13:03:40 -0400
While not specifically a Networker question, it comes under the backup
management part of the equation.  For offsite storage where there is a third
party vendor, for example Iron Mountain, what do folks who use encryption do
for their encryption keys?  Do you co-locate them with the vendor, send them
somewhere else, or what?  They are certainly required to perform a DR.  Up to
this point, our offsite has been in-house and we just made sure that the tapes
and keys did not travel together which met the requirement of secure transfer.
Now we are working on secure storage where we don't have complete control.

Patti Clark - GSEC
IIa
Sr. Linux/UNIX System Administrator
Office of Scientific and Technical Information