Networker

[Networker] How to set up a three level cluster

2011-07-21 10:29:47
Subject: [Networker] How to set up a three level cluster
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 10:28:07 -0400
I have a Linux Cluster that has three levels to it.  There are the physical
systems, there are
the virtual systems with their view of the clustered (GFS2) file systems, and
there is the
single service name that is made public to the world.

Now, these GFS2 clustered file systems are so large that I have to break them
up into multiple
clients or I'm going to be deep in the rabbit hole trying to find any window
for maintenance.

The administrators have set it up so that the virtual systems can start up on
any one of the
physical systems, and via DNS RR, the single service name is distributed around
on the multiple
(I think 6) virtual systems so no single system gets overloaded with email
clients.

My concern is how to define this in NetWorker.  The Administrators would love
for me to define
multiple clients using the single service name, to back up the individual GFS2
file systems -
but then they get all upset when DNS RR doesn't hand the NetWorker server
different addresses
when the multiple clients/groups start and we wind up doing multiple concurrent
backups all on
the same virtual server (and the performance hit becomes enough that they get
woken up by the
3am pager symphony).

This is all being done using NetWorker 7.6sp2 - if that makes any difference to
how you would
set it up.

Thanks,