Networker

Re: [Networker] Changing networker server

2011-07-18 08:14:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] Changing networker server
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 22:14:07 +1000
> Solaris 9, Networker 7.5.2
> Due to various circumstances we are looking at upgrading our current server
> sun v440 with a sun v890.  The intention is to keep the same host name and
> I.P., although I know the host ID would change.  We are also looking to
> upgrade to Solaris 10.
> Any hints or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If the host ID is going to change, you'll need to do a license transfer with
EMC. Organise the new licenses prior to doing the transfer.

I'd recommend installing Solaris 10 on the new host first, then transferring
NetWorker afterwards. Probably no main reasons other than how I've always done
it in the past when there's been a combined server move + OS upgrade.

The actual transfer of the /nsr region should be pretty simple. Optimally you
might be able to literally transfer the hard drives from one server to the
next. If not, you may have to look at an approved copy method. The EMC
recommended process is to do a bootstrap backup/recovery (i.e., mmrecov). I'm
not 100% sure whether that's literally required now when moving servers on the
same platform; check with EMC support to confirm whether it's definitely
required, as I've seen instances in the past where people have moved their
server details the 'wrong' way, and caused themselves major issues.

Cheers,
Preston.

--
Preston de Guise