Networker

Re: [Networker] Advice on migrating a large (2TB) AFTD storage node to new hardware

2011-07-14 09:04:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advice on migrating a large (2TB) AFTD storage node to new hardware
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 09:06:12 -0400
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 7:16 AM, Michael Leone
> <Michael.Leone AT pha.phila DOT gov> wrote:
> > Comments anyone? I have also opened a question case with EMC, to see
what
> > they have to say about it. Still waiting to hear, as question cases
are
> > lower priority than problem cases, of course.
>
> I can't speak to the meat of your migration question, but I'm curious,
> is there no direct network connectivity possible between your old and
> new file servers; why not just use robocopy.exe from a file share?

Both are on the same subnet, and both have teamed 1G NICs.

It's been our experience that even using robocopy to move 200+G from one
direct attached disk shelf to another direct attached disk shelf took like
7 hours. (that was on a different file server, at one of our remote sites)
Our experience is that using robocopy between servers is slower than using
Networker.

What we are considering instead:

this 2TB SAN drive holds departmental shares, and user home folders. If we
backup and restore just non-user files to a disk drive on the new server;
unpresent that whole drive from old server to newserver; now new server
has 2 drives - the one we restored the non-user files to,  and the entire
old drive from the old server. We delete the non-user shares from the disk
transferred from the old server (since they will have been restored to a
different disk drive on new server). Adjust shares accordingly.

That leave me with one (new) drive for departmental shares, and one drive
for user shares (now with hundreds of gigs of free space, since the
departmental shares are now off of it).

And I cut out 1TB+ of backup and restore. And still end up with a new
server with separate drives for departmental shares and user folders, each
of which now has lots of breathing room.