Networker

[Networker] Networker barcode label mismatch.

2011-07-01 00:53:47
Subject: [Networker] Networker barcode label mismatch.
From: bingo <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 21:53:35 -0700
@ liquidd

"When I change the labels, my volume label is the old label from the old
barcode, and the new label is the new barcode."
This is not true. The volume label only changes when you label the tape. This
is exactly why you expect trouble.

"I have been waiting for the expire so that I do not have problems there."
This means that you can NOT overwite and relabel them.

Of course, NetWorker can handle different bar code labels and the volume label
must not necessarily match the barcode. But usually they do. Do not forget this
nsr_jukebox parameter which does not match true life any longer.

To 'correct' a mismatch you must inventory the media. And if the barcode is not
known, the media label will physically be verified. As i have never done that,
I do not know whether this is enough to adjust the entries in the media db.

The easiest was would be to order new, matching barcode labels. If this is not
an option, try one tape before you initiate a bulk operation.