Networker

[Networker] Difference between notrecyclable and manual?

2011-06-29 12:38:58
Subject: [Networker] Difference between notrecyclable and manual?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 12:38:17 -0400
What's the effective difference between:

nsrmm -o notrecyclable volume
nsrmm -o manual volume

Do they both accomplish the same thing?

Also, is there any way to query the media database for volumes that have been set to manual recycle and/or notrecyclable?

Of course, the term 'recyclable' or 'notrecyclable' might be better applied to save sets than the volume itself, and I understand that a volume can be auto-recycled (which has nothing to do with AMM) once all of its save sets have expired, assuming the volume is in the tape library and is not physically write protected, but the man page for nsrmm specifically states:

"The[not]recyclable mode applies to volumes, save sets and save set clone instances."

but it also states:

"The [not]readonly, [not]offsite, [not]full and [not]manual modes apply only to volumes."

OK, so you might want to just make a specific ssid/cloneid pair notrecyclable, rather than all the save sets on the tape, in which case the notrecyclable option gives you that granularity while 'manual' does not. Or you could just use the 'manual' or 'notrecyclable' option for the volume which would take care of the ssid/cloneid pair in question along with everything else on there too, but that might be overkill. I got that right?

It's been my experience that you can't change an ssid/cloneid pair from recyclable to notrecyclable once its past its clone retention time until you first set the clretent to a future date using 'nsrmm -e'. So assuming that's the case, I would think that if you tried to mark a volume notrecyclable, and there was at least one ssid/cloneid pair on there that had expired then the command would fail since it has to mark all the save sets notrecyclable which it would not be able to do until you first ran 'nsrmm -e' to set the ones that had expired. But maybe 'manual' would work without requiring you to first run 'nsrmm -e'. I got that right?

Thanks.

George

--
George Sinclair