Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker behavior relabeling medium ...

2011-06-24 11:06:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker behavior relabeling medium ...
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 11:04:33 -0400
Think about how you would recover from a failure.

What if the system loses power after the tape is labeled but before anything
else is done? How
do you recover? How confused does NetWorker get?

Yes, your design change will prevent the stupidity caused loss of the media
information from
happening, but it opens up a whole new avenue for NetWorker to become terribly
corrupted.

With the current failure scenario, you can use scanner to recover the contents
of that tape.
What do you do when you've overwritten the label but NetWorker still thinks
there are savesets
on the media? Do you even see that error until later when someone tries to
recover a file or
when NetWorker goes to write more data to that tape?

I don't see your new design as an improvement at all.

Frank