Networker

Re: [Networker] NW 7.5.2 and VMware vCenter 4.1

2011-06-23 16:12:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] NW 7.5.2 and VMware vCenter 4.1
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 16:13:30 -0400
> Hello,
> Page 525 of the 7.5 admin guide goes into how to setup
> autodiscovery, I don't think there's anything else that needs to be
> on it besides the networker client.  There also needs to be a
> networker client setup in the console for it.

I have read it. It does not tell me what else I need to do to my vCenter
server so that the auto-discovery command of "https://vCenter/sdk"; works.
Right now, that URL returns "Page not found", so the auto-discovery is
failing. So I think something more needs to be on the vCenter, so it
responds to that command.

> One thing that I ran into is that your server that you point the
> enable autodiscovery (usually your vcenter server) to has to be a 32
> bit server.  I found out the hard way that it's not supported on 64
> bit.  In our case we had just migrated off a 32 bit vcenter to a 64
> bit box so I was able to point it to the old 32 bit box and somehow it
works..

My vCenter is a 64 bit box, too. And I don't have the old 32bit box
anymore. So I guess I am out of luck?

> Using 7.52 you will be using vcb, 7.6x has a lot more vmware
> enhancements (like 1 step vm recover) with it so you may want to go
> that route.  If you decide to go to 7.6.2 you'll have to use vadp,
> unless you leave your vcb proxy at 7.6.1 or below.

I keep hoping to go to 7.6.2, but based on my one experience upgrading
7.5.2 to 7.6.2, and the enabler code failing to work because (according to
EMC Licensing), my license bundle is "too old and needs to be upgraded", I
can not risk upgrading my main NW server. Believe me, I would love to go
to 7.6.2, for the VM features and Win2008 support, but no way will I even
attempt it, if I can't enable it after installing ...

> Your proxy server will need plenty of room, based on how many vm's
> you plan to backup.

Room meaning Disk space for the snapshots? How do I calculate that -
enough disk space for the largest VM user of disk space?

> Each vcb backup process (nsrvcb_save.exe, I
> think) on the proxy can use up to 1.5gb of ram, so make sure the vcb
> proxy has plenty of ram.  You also need the vcb framework (you get
> that from vmware) installed on your proxy.

I don't see a VCB framework on the download page at VMware ...