Networker

[Networker] Red Hat Enterprise Linux, udev, and the tape library scsidev address

2011-06-22 12:58:51
Subject: [Networker] Red Hat Enterprise Linux, udev, and the tape library scsidev address
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:57:00 -0400
Has anyone managed to figure out how to hog-tie udev so it stops changing the
scsidev address
(the control port) of their tape library on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (or 6)?

I just upgraded my server to RHEL 6.1 today and now my tape library is suddenly
on 5.0.0
instead of 4.0.0 (The real scsi adapter connecting two AIT3 drives and the
QLogic Fibre adapter
connecting the jukebox swapped places with the reboot after the OS maintenance
was applied).

I have worked around it by using "nsradmin -d /nsr/res/nsrdb" (after stopping
networker) to
change the resource.  That was probably not the correct way.  I was probably
supposed to delete
the jukebox definition and create a new one, but with a tape library with 2500
slots and only
14 tape drives, the inventory time is unacceptably long (and for everyone that
is immediately
thinking -II -- forget it, a new jukebox can't use that you have to do the slow
-I because it's
a new jukebox, might be duplicate barcodes -- at least I think that's what EMC
is thinking...).

If you've managed to get through all the rambling, thanks for getting this far.
 I am wondering
if there is something I can do either in udev or in the jukebox resource (via
nsradmin) so I
don't care what the host value changes to next time - does anyone know?

Thanks,