Networker

[Networker] 7.6.2 and old licensing bundle - errors assigning auth codes

2011-06-21 12:08:16
Subject: [Networker] 7.6.2 and old licensing bundle - errors assigning auth codes
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:59:49 -0400
A heads up for everybody. I had a Win2003 (32 bit)  7.5.2 server that we
upgraded to Win2008 R2 (64 bit) 7.6.2. We re-formatted the drive and
upgraded. Same DNS name, same IP address. I saved copies of /index, /mm
and /res, and overwrote what the installer put in.  I still had problems
starting up, but Tech Support worked those out. What we (both Tech Support
and I) didn't expect was a licensing issue.

Obviously I had to move my licenses from the old hostid to a new host d.
No problem; done that before. This time, however, the new enabler code
would not work; I got an error saying that this enabler was for a
different platform. WTF? After verifying both old hostid and new hostid
with Licensing, and verifying that both the old hostid and new hostid were
for the Windows platform, Licensing told me my problem was that the
license bundle that I had (the LAC) was "too old", and that's what was
causing my problems. They said I needed to get my vendor (CDW) to work
with EMC Licensing to "upgrade" my license bundle from it's current,
obsolete, no longer offered bundle ... to a new one. THEN when I had a new
bundle (I guess a new LAC?), I could get an enabler that would work.

All news to me.

My bundle is maybe 4 or 5 years old, from when we first started using
Networker. We renew support every year, of course, and but new client
licenses, etc, as needed.  I had no idea that the enabler codes would fail
to work, if the license bundle was too old.

Luckily this is my first 7.6.2 install, at a remote site. I shudder to
think what would happen at my main site, with 130 clients ...

Am I the only one seeing this issue, when upgrading to 7.6.2?
--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM