Networker

[Networker] Daily backup administrator activities

2011-06-09 05:40:34
Subject: [Networker] Daily backup administrator activities
From: "STANLEY R. HORWITZ" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 05:40:11 -0400
Greetings everyone;

As part of a business continuity planning exercise, I need to write out a
list of everything I do to keep my employer's backup infrastructure up and
running.

Examples of some items include:

Review individual NetWorker savegroup reports for backup issues
Assist server administrators and/or data owners to complete restores
Provide monthly backup and restore reports.
Monitor Avamar, Data Domain, tape, and other resource usage.
Add and remove NetWorker or Avamar backups as necessary.
Monitor backup equipment for any hardware issues that might arise.
Keep abreast of new backup software releases.
Respond to  information requests for internal and external audits.
Provide documentation on how to restore files.
Provide documentation on how to rebuild our NetWorker infrastructure in
the event of a disaster.

So this got me to wondering what my counterparts at other organizations do
to keep your backup infrastructure up and running and support your users.

Feel free to add to the above list.