Networker

[Networker] Forcing the backup level of an INDEX backup?

2011-05-25 08:48:12
Subject: [Networker] Forcing the backup level of an INDEX backup?
From: Will Parsons <w.parsons AT LEEDS.AC DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 13:46:42 +0100
Hi All,
I've had an INDEX_ONLY group for a number of years now but the manner in which NetWorker decides on the backup level to use has never really suited me. The backup level for the Client File Index each day is derived from the scheduled backup level of some instance of the client config, so if the client is having a full backup that day, the INDEX_ONLY backup for that client will be full. If the client's on an Incremental day, the INDEX_ONLY backup will be Level-9. Historically, we've had a full backup from each client each week, so I've had a regular full backup of the index.

We've recently brought in a couple of NAS boxes which are only getting a full backup once a month (with level backups in between), and I would dearly like to force the INDEX backup to carry out a full backup on a weekly basis. I've tried using Group override to set the level, and I've tried putting a client that's scheduled to always do full backups in to the INDEX_ONLY group, but to no avail.

Thoughts?

Many thanks
Will

--

w.parsons AT leeds.ac DOT uk
UNIX Support

“I’m not against progress, it’s the change I do not like” – Mark Twain