Networker

[Networker] SL500 tape library issues

2011-05-25 07:42:11
Subject: [Networker] SL500 tape library issues
From: Paul Key <pkey AT SGUL.AC DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 12:41:21 +0100
Hi

Solaris 10
NetWorker Management Console version 3.4.Build.187
based on NetWorker version 7.4.Build.187

We have recently added two LTO5 drives into an SL500 tape library giving a total of six drives (four LTO4 drives and the two LTO5 drives.)

In doing so the library was deleted from the GUI (legato software) and readded with a different name. - although its still the same library. Also an existing pool of disks was also deleted and readded.

There are some issues:

1) We are unable to load tapes into the new LTO5 drives even though they were added as LTO4 drives in software - getting the message Device `/dev/rmt/14cbn is unavailable` Not sure if 7.4 has the 'drivers' installed for LTO5 drives or if additional configuration is needed. I'm sure we had a message about the drive not being recognised media too but I can't recreate that. LTO5 drives are supposed to be backwardly compatible with LTO4 drives?

2) Having tried a restore from a pool consisting of the attached disks we are having authentication issues and are unable to restore:

recover command started on Wed 25 May 2011 10:52:20 AM BST

Recovering 1 file into its original location
Total estimated disk space needed for recover is 1896 KB.
Requesting 1 file(s), this may take a while...
53363:recover: Recover of rsid 18338 failed: Authentication failed or no valid authentication methods supported by both client and server
Permission denied
52973:recover: Didn't recover requested file ./legato_ADMIN.pdf

Received 0 file(s) from NSR server `backup2'
Recover completion time: Wed 25 May 2011 10:52:21 AM BST

recover command completed successfully on Wed 25 May 2011 10:52:21 AM BST

3) After having run an inventory some tapes in the library are showing as <unlabelled> and are shown as in a slot - under media though they are not shown as being in the library location.
In fact it looks like the inventory nver completed:

7224 1306322991 2 0 0 1 637 0 backup2 nsrd 5 %s %s 2 0 33 [Jukebox `SL500', operation # 9]. 0 151 Jukebox:SL500 access:/dev/scsi/changer/c9t500104F0009EE4A5d0 failed:MOVE MEDIUM key:5 status:CHECK CONDITION Equal Error, Incompatible Medium Installed 0 1306322996 2 0 0 1 735 0 backup2 nsrmmdbd 4 %.*s 2 1 2 37 0 36 pools supported: SL500; 12361 1306323019 2 0 0 1 637 0 backup2 nsrd 27 %s Finished with status: %s 2 0 33 [Jukebox `SL500', operation # 9]. 0 9 retryable

Under the SL500 pool properties the Selection Criteria-> Target device the four LTO4 drives only are ticked - not the LTO5's.

Any one with any suggestions please reply!

Thanks

Paul