Networker

[Networker] Strange NetWorker group behavior

2011-05-19 17:46:58
Subject: [Networker] Strange NetWorker group behavior
From: "STANLEY R. HORWITZ" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 17:45:54 -0400
I have a NetWorker 7.6 SP1 server, which I am moving from test mode to
production mode now. I have a few savegroups set up on it. I manually
started a group called "test1" to write a backup of ONE Linux client with
client parallelism set to six. This test1 group is set to back up to one
of four Data Domain Boost devices. One or two minutes after that group
started, I kicked off another group called "Miscellaneous," which is set
up to write to a different DD Boost device.

When I started the test1 group, within a few seconds, all six sessions
where happily streaming to the DD Boost device. When I started the
Miscellaneous1 group, nothing appeared to happen. This group has a Windows
2008 client in it and a Linux client with each client using the default
parallelism setting, which is 4 sessions. The client version for all the
clients here is 7.6 SP1. In the details window for the Miscellaneous1
group, it shows a bunch of queued processes in the waiting to run window
pane. Those save processes never do anything. So if you add up the total
sessions, it should best 6 + 4 + 4 = 14 sessions, which is not a whole
heck of a lot.

If I kill both groups, then start them in the opposite order
(Miscellaneous1 first, then test1), the backups start writing fine for the
Miscellaneous1 group's clients, and they also work fine for the test1
group.

This NetWorker server is running off eval licenses now so its server
parallelism is 32, which is well more than the 14 sessions I asked it to
back up. Each Data Domain Device has a max target sessions value of 10. No
other backups were running when I did this, nor were any clones.

So, my question is, why does the Miscellanous1 group hang when I start it
after the test1 group, but it works fine when I start it before the test1
group and the test1 group works regardless of which order I start it?