Networker

[Networker] NW server's nsrexecd core dumps after 7.6.1.5/6 upgrade

2011-05-18 09:09:53
Subject: [Networker] NW server's nsrexecd core dumps after 7.6.1.5/6 upgrade
From: Teresa Biehler <tpbsys AT RIT DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 09:06:40 -0400
Hi folks,

We need some help with this one.  We upgraded from v7.4.4 to v7.6.1.5
yesterday.  Everything went well with testing during the day.  The first two
groups of clients during our production runs at night also ran fine.  When we
got to our the first of one of our larger groups, however, nsrexecd on the
backup server core dumped.  This caused a whole host of problems including:

-          Communication failures for any new request (tape loads, starting of
a backup, etc.)

-          NMC was accessible only if a window was already open before the crash

-          nsradmin failed saying that it could not communicate with the server.

On the suggestion of EMC NW support, we upgraded to v7.6.1.6 in the hopes that
the latest cumulative patch included something that would help.  We still see
the same problem.

It seems like it is a resource issue because smaller backup groups ran without
problems.  I am, however, at a loss at what to look at.  Does anyone have any
ideas?

By the way, here are the details;

-          NW server and storage node both are on v7.6.1.6 build 472 (same
problem with v7.6.1.5 build 67)

-          Both server and storage node are Solaris 10

Thanks.
Teresa

Teresa Biehler
Information and Technology Services
Rochester Institute of Technology
Ross 10-A426
103 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623
585-475-5594
teresa.biehler AT rit DOT edu<mailto:teresa.biehler AT rit DOT edu>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is
intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may
contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
destroy any copies of this information.