Networker

Re: [Networker] Getting a list of the contents of every tape ever made by Networker

2011-05-16 09:50:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] Getting a list of the contents of every tape ever made by Networker
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 09:51:28 -0400
> Hi Michael,
>
> not sure whether you are asking about media db or CFI entries. They are
> different things but sometimes we come across "media index" which
> means "media db". But I find the former to be rather misleading.

Media db. I don't need to know exactly what files are in the saveset.

They want to know that on 2009-09-29, tape volume 12345 was created, and
on it was

Server1, C:
Server2, E:

Etc

And they say they want to know that for every tape ever made. And I don't
think I can give them that (since we re-use tapes every 2 tapes, and when
we do, we re-label the tape, which deletes all the media db entries).

I can tell them what's on every EOM tape, since we keep those, and never
re-label them. Otherwise, I think they will only be able to get every tape
that has not yet been re-labelled and put back into the pools.

> The client file index is different and not what they are asking for (if
> understood the question).

Correct - they are not asking for that.