Networker

Re: [Networker] Getting a list of the contents of every tape ever made by Networker

2011-05-16 09:46:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Getting a list of the contents of every tape ever made by Networker
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 09:45:53 -0400
> By default all media records are retained unless the tape is relabled.
> It can be explicitly deleted otherwise.  The records are small enough
> compared to the file indexes that this is possible.
>
> > So I guess I am asking: do entries like this ever get purged
completely
> > from the mm db?
>
> Manually, or automatically when the tape is relabled.  Not when the
> savesets expire.

That's the part I needed to know, thanks!

So since we re-use tapes every 2 months or so, and when we do, we re-label
the tape (back into the same pool as before), then I guess the only
history I have is of the *most recent time* the tape was written to. (or
we used to - legal requirements have prevented me from re-using any tapes
for approx 9 months now)

<SIGH>

Have I mentioned that I hate legal requests? :-)