Networker

[Networker] Getting a list of the contents of every tape ever made by Networker

2011-05-13 16:01:52
Subject: [Networker] Getting a list of the contents of every tape ever made by Networker
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 16:02:26 -0400
First: I *hate* legal requests. :-(

So I've had a request to compile a list of every tape made by Networker in
the last 4 years, and what their contents are. (not the actual files,
thankfully, but a list of  the savesets on every tape) So they want to see

Tape: 12345      Client: Server1 Savesets: C:, D:      Date: 2007-02-28
Tape: 12345      Client: Server2 Saveset: C: D: S:    Date: 2007-02-28

And so on ...

So what I am unclear on is ... retention. I know what when a tape expires
(past it's expiration), it removes the client file indexes. But does it
remove the entire entry in the mm db? Or will my mm db still have entries
for all tapes I ever made? (I'm guessing "no")

So I guess I am asking: do entries like this ever get purged completely
from the mm db?
If not, what would you suggest is the best way to get back to that list? I
have end of month bootstraps and client file indexes going back these 4
years, so I could nsrck it, which would get me back the client file
indexes (which I don't need ... yet).

Am I completely offbase here?

Thanks for any help and pointers

--