Networker

[Networker] Live and learn

2011-04-20 12:25:07
Subject: [Networker] Live and learn
From: "STANLEY R. HORWITZ" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 12:24:36 -0400
Greetings everyone,

Yesterday, I asked if the forthcoming NetWorker 7.6 SP2 offers a feature
to allow a recover of cloned data from either the original backup media or
the cloned media. Michael Jones said that feature is included in NetWorker
7.6 SP2. Prior to asking that question, I opened up a case about it on
PowerLink. I just concluded a WebEx session with EMC's Mumtaz Warsi who
showed me a trick to work around that limitation in 7.6.1. My problem was
that in doing test restores of cloned data on a test server that the only
cloned copies of the file I wanted to restore appeared in the output of
"versions" within the recover utility.

It turns out that the tape volume containing the cloned data was still
mounted in a tape device. Simply by unmounting the clone tape volume, I
was able to see the original backup copy on my DD Boost device. I just
tried doing a recover without the clone volume mounted (which will
normally be the case when I put this system into production) and it worked
fine.