Networker

Re: [Networker] Upgrading server OS and NW version at the same time, re-using same hardware and server name

2011-04-19 17:25:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] Upgrading server OS and NW version at the same time, re-using same hardware and server name
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 16:23:12 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Upgrading server OS and NW version at the...:

So if we re-do the OS, and I install 64bit NW (hopefully NW 7.6 SP2,
if it
comes out within the next couple weeks),

The DR procedure assumes you're going to install exactly the same
version
of NetWorker, but you're also talking about changing versions and the
ABI
at the same time.  That's not generally advised during a DR.  If
you're
very, very comfortable with NetWorker and the DR procedure you can
probably pull it off.

But why, I wonder?

In a true disaster, you don't want to be increasing the challenge by
throwing any unnecessary variables into the mix.

Well, yes, I know *that*.

You're asking the question, so I'm trying to be precise, both for your
benefit and for the benefit of anyone that may find this thread in the
archives down the road.

LOL I meant, why would 32 v 64 bit make a
difference,

In a perfect world, it wouldn't make a difference, but this is a
complicated software package we're talking about here.  You can take the
"no worries" approach and just assume that it doesn't make a difference,
but people that are responsible for business continuity tend to be
cautious about making assumptions like that.

There are plenty of minor things that I've encountered over the years
that should never have made a difference with how NetWorker functions,
but they did.

if I am not running a full system recover of the NW server,
and am instead just recovering the mm database.

I thought that going from 32bit to 64bit was supported (perhaps not in the

I hope it is and I believe it should be.  Right now, I don't *know*
whether it is, though, and apparently you don't either.  Until such a
time as I can read actual confirmation from EMC that it's supported, I'm
going to assume it's *not*.

exact sequence I have outlined, but moving platforms from 32bit to 64bit,
possibly staying in the same version, surely can't mean that a customer is
destined to lose potentially years of mm history ...).

One could make the argument that moving platforms from Solaris to Linux or
Linux to Windows also shouldn't mean that a customer is destined to lose
potentially years of mm history.

Tim
edu