Networker

Re: [Networker] Upgrading server OS and NW version at the same time, re-using same hardware and server name

2011-04-19 15:35:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Upgrading server OS and NW version at the same time, re-using same hardware and server name
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 15:29:51 -0400
> > if it
> >>
> >> The DR procedure assumes you're going to install exactly the same
> > version
> >> of NetWorker, but you're also talking about changing versions and the
> > ABI
> >> at the same time.  That's not generally advised during a DR.  If
you're
> >> very, very comfortable with NetWorker and the DR procedure you can
> >> probably pull it off.
> >
> > But why, I wonder?
>
> In a true disaster, you don't want to be increasing the challenge by
> throwing any unnecessary variables into the mix.

Well, yes, I know *that*. LOL I meant, why would 32 v 64 bit make a
difference, if I am not running a full system recover of the NW server,
and am instead just recovering the mm database.

I thought that going from 32bit to 64bit was supported (perhaps not in the
exact sequence I have outlined, but moving platforms from 32bit to 64bit,
possibly staying in the same version, surely can't mean that a customer is
destined to lose potentially years of mm history ...).