Networker

[Networker] Upgrading server OS and NW version at the same time, re-using same hardware and server name

2011-04-19 10:15:08
Subject: [Networker] Upgrading server OS and NW version at the same time, re-using same hardware and server name
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 10:11:21 -0400
I have a NW 7.5.2 server, running Win 2003 and 32bit NW. We're going to be
re-formatting the entire server and installing Win2008 R2 instead, on the
same hardware and keeping the same server name and IP address. What I'd
like to do is keep all the old NW history. Am I correct in thinking that
this would be pretty similar the same as a disaster recovery of a NW
server? That is, I don't need to recover any programs or OS of the server
(we're OK with re-installing all that from scratch), I just want to
recover the NW history.

So if we re-do the OS, and I install 64bit NW (hopefully NW 7.6 SP2, if it
comes out within the next couple weeks), and I keep the same server name
and IP address,  then I would really only need to do a "mmrecov" and a
"nsrck -L7"? Then I'd have a clean new installation of NW, but with all my
old mm database, and all the old Client File Index history, for easy
recovers.

Am I missing anything in this plan?

Thanks
--