Networker

Re: [Networker] lockbox issue after upgrade from 7.5.1 to 7.6.1

2011-04-06 11:34:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] lockbox issue after upgrade from 7.5.1 to 7.6.1
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 10:32:17 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] lockbox issue after upgrade from 7.5.1 to 7.6.1,...:

We have a Networker 7.5.1 server that we are attempting to upgrade to
7.6.1.2. When we do the upgrade, our lockboxes become inaccessible and end
up having to be recreated. This means that all the database backup jobs that
use them have to be recreated because we haven't found an easy way to
convince the backup jobs to use the new lockboxes.

The procedure we are using to upgrade is to make a backup of all of the
bootstrap and index information, uninstall the 7.5.1 rpms and then install
the 7.6.1.2 rpms and put all the bootstrap/index information back. The
server is running on Red Hat Linux 5.5 and the NMC is running on Windows.
Storage nodes are Red Hat Linux 5.4. Should we perhaps be doing this
differently? Has anyone else had this issue? We've stumped EMC, it seems.

First, maybe someone else on the list knows what you're talking about
with "lockboxes", but I personally haven't the foggiest idea.  Can you
perhaps give a bit more explanation about what you mean?

Second, regarding your upgrade procedure: Everything sounds perfect until
you get to the point where you "...put all the bootstrap/index information
back."  Typically, when you do an upgrade, especially when you're just
uninstalling old RPMs and installing newer ones, there's no need to put
anything back.  The uninstall process should not be removing any of your
media database or your client file indexes, so after installing the new
RPMs and starting the software, everything should be right where you left
it.  We're running RHEL 5.x on our backup servers too and we've never had
any of the symptoms you're describing after an upgrade.

Have you reviewed the NetWorker installation guide and the technical guide
for upgrading, available on Powerlink?  Both are good resources for all
the steps when doing an upgrade.  There's a few database consistency
checks recommended for before the upgrade which you apparently skipped,
but I highly doubt those are causing the issue you're experiencing.

Tim
edu