Networker

[Networker] RE [Networker] Storage node with AFTD device greater than 2TB on Windows

2011-04-05 15:48:56
Subject: [Networker] RE [Networker] Storage node with AFTD device greater than 2TB on Windows
From: Dominique De Serre <Dominique_De_Serre AT SSSS.GOUV.QC DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 15:47:50 -0400
Hi,

We did with a 10 Tb DAS attached to our Windows server and it's working
fine.

Regards

Dominique De Serre
Analyste informatique
Équipe Infrastructure
CSSSAE
819-357-2030 poste 2222

dominique_de_serre AT ssss.gouv.qc DOT ca

Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>@LISTSERV.TEMPLE.EDU
Envoyé par : EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
2011-04-05 14:44
Veuillez répondre à
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Veuillez
répondre à
Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Objet
[Networker] Storage node with AFTD device greater than 2TB on Windows

We're thinking of changing the configuration of one of our storage nodes.
Right now, it writes to an AFTD device that is a 2TB NTFS formatted drive
(presented from the SAN). 2TB is the max size of an NTFS drive that was
initialized as an MBR drive. However, if you initialize the drive as a
GUID partition, it supports sizes greater than 2TB (so the documentation
says).

My position is that Networker relies on the OS of the snode for reading
and writing to AFTD devices. So as long as the OS is happy reading/writing

to a drive larger than 2TB, then Networker won't be bothered by it, and
will happily write more than 2TB to it (not as a single file, but in
total). What we want to do is keep a couple weeks worth of daily backups
on there, as a way to do fast restores. I'd still clone to tape from there

weekly, I think.

Am I correct? NW won't be bothered accessing a drive larger than 2TB,
formatted as a GUID parition?

Anyone else using a drive larger than 2TB, formatted as a GUID partition,
in Windows (specifically)?

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM