Networker

[Networker] Backup via second NIC on client?

2011-04-01 11:58:44
Subject: [Networker] Backup via second NIC on client?
From: Stu Duncan <stu AT UNAVCO DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 09:58:29 -0600
I'm trying to get my clients to back up on their second NIC.  However, they
seem to respond with DNS on their first NIC and thus the backup server won't
recognize them.

Primary NIC: 10.234.1.220, cfc.win.int.unavco.org (via DNS)
Secondary NIC: 10.255.1.220 cfc-backup.unavco.org (via hosts file)

Networker server: 10.255.1.5 networker.unavco.org

I can't see any way to get the client to use the secondary NIC/backup name.
Both the client & server can see each other (on the 10.255 network), but when I
go to back it up, or request backup on client I get this:

39078:winworkr: SYSTEM error: client `cfc.win.int.unavco.org' is not properly
configured on the NetWorker Server
or `cfc.win.int.unavco.org'(if not a virtual host) is not in the aliases list
for client `cfc-backup.unavco.org'

The client does think it's named cfc.win.int.unavco.org.
Should I put an alias in the hosts file like this:

10.255.1.220 cfc-backup.unavco.org cfc.win.int

I've seen reference to a client attribute of server network interface, but
can't find any documentation on it.

So how do I properly get the client software to connect to the backup server on
the secondary NIC or backup name, which should be the same thing.

Thanks,

Stu Duncan
Facility Systems Administrator
UNAVCO, Inc.