Networker

[Networker] How to prepare for a Win2008 BMR recovery?

2011-03-16 15:27:56
Subject: [Networker] How to prepare for a Win2008 BMR recovery?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 15:26:08 -0400
<SIGH>

So while I wait for NW 7.6 SP2 to come along and magically alleviate all
my worries, how should I plan on preparing for a BMR on Win2008 now? I see
that I have to use WSB (Windows Server Backup) to make an image of the
server (probably on a schedule), but what then? I can make the image on
shared storage, and back that storage up. But how does that help me if I
need to do a BMR?

Let's discuss the case of not being able to get the server to boot at all.
Do I need to boot from a Windows install disk, and run a repair (seems
like it)? How can it see the image that's on shared storage? Won't I have
to copy that to some local drive (USB attached, perhaps) so that the
repair process can see it?

If the server can boot, it should see the shared storage, and we run the
WSB recover from there, I presume.

I'm guessing that Networker won't be involved at all? I use only MS tools
to do BMRs on Win2008 (for now)? I can take Networker backups if I want,
to to use for individual file recovers, if necessary. But why, since I
will HAVE to use WSB, to be fully protected, and WSB should be able to do
individual file recoveries without the need for Networker being involved.
Am I mis-understanding something here?

Any insights/experiences appreciated.

--
Michael Leone