Networker

Re: [Networker] long term retention of data and old hardware

2011-02-21 19:04:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] long term retention of data and old hardware
From: "Albert, Eddie - JACKSONVIL FL" <eddie.albert AT BANKOFAMERICA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 18:54:48 -0500
As a data protection consultant, I have been asked to do some crazy
things...

One of them for the military was restore backup data from 10 years ago,
that had data for a base closure and had congressional investigation
on-going. This was just after y2k right? Big 1/2" tape.

In my case, I was very lucky that the retired Air Force Communications
Chief in charge of I.T. kept two of every piece of equipment that would
be needed to restore any data. The data restored was from a Banyan Vines
Server, using True LEGATO tape drives and software.

Very lucky... today my recommendation might start with a question... Is
this a realistic drop dead requirement? If yes, while calculating your
data costs, factor in the cost of a data migration service from old
technology to new technology every 3 years. Move the data from old media
to new media you are done. We are having a lot more media (LTO3 tape)
failure than even I expected.

I would recommend short-term backup go to DataDomain or some similar
technology anything over 1 year retention should go to the latest most
trust worthy media. Unfortunately the quad-density blue ray discs are
not fast enough to use as mainstay storage.. Although if you are going
to keep something for 30 years, that would be my media of choice. /shrug

Food for thought, hopefully no one gets food poisoning. /grin

Semper fidelis, /ALE