Networker

[Networker] Indexes of Unusual Size

2011-02-08 09:42:09
Subject: [Networker] Indexes of Unusual Size
From: tbirkenbach <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 09:41:17 -0500
For most of my NetWorker clients, index size is between 100 and 500 MB.  On the
"plus size" side, I have nine clients that go from 1.2 GB to 1.7 GB.  However,
I have my "jumbo" client with an index size of 19 GB.  I'm not sure what's
average for other systems, but jumping from 5.7 GB to 19 GB tells me something
isn't right.  Any ideas on what could be causing this?

System info...
Backup host: NetWorker v7.6.1.1 Build 422 on Solaris 10 (Intel)
Client: NetWorker v7.6.1 Build 397 on Mac OS 10.6

NetWorker version was recently upgraded on the client in the (blind) hope that
this would somehow effect index size (as well as the very slow performance, but
that's a different question).  I also recently changed the backup scheme from
one full per week with daily incrementals to on full per month with daily
incrementals.  That seemed to curb the index size a bit, but the index is still
over three times larger than the next largest system.  Oddly enough, "jumbo"
(the client with the large index) does not even have the most files of all the
systems I backup.  In fact, the system with the most files has over 19,000,000
files and is number three on the largest index size with 5.4 GB.  Jumbo, BTW,
has 13,700,000 files.

Any help, insight and/or direction is greatly appreciated.

-Tom B.