Networker

Re: [Networker] Speeding up a clone job

2011-02-03 11:07:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] Speeding up a clone job
From: Brendan Forsyth <bff AT PVHS DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 09:04:18 -0700
What type of SAN is in use?  Are there capabilities that can create a snapshot
of the
database volumes? You could also have the DBA's create maintenance plans to
write out
.bak files and then you back those up cold using the standard Networker client.
 If there
is space, they could make multiple copies and you would then have the
opportunity to back
them up and ease the backup time window constraint.

Brendan Forsyth
Senior System Administrator
Poudre Valley Health Care
3702 Automation Way
Fort Collins CO 80525
bff AT pvhs DOT org
(970) 495-7731 office
(970) 689-2503 cell

>>> Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV> 2/2/2011 2:09 PM >>>
NW 7.5.2, Windows 2003 (server and client)

I know I will phrase this wrong, or use a technical term wrong, so I'll
just describe what I want, and then someone can tell me what it's properly
called, and (hopefully) how to do it.

I run a backup job that backs up MS SQL databases on one client. This
client is an AFTD storage node. So the job backs up to disk (fiber
connected SAN storage), and then clones onto a fiber connected library
(library connected to my NW server, not the storage node). Problem is, I
have about 1.7TB of DBs to back up, and my DBAs tell me they can't get rid
of any of them, and that - in fact - they might have more DBs soon, what
with the upcoming projects.

The problem I have is time, of course. It takes a long while to save to
disk, and even longer to clone to tape. And I have to run this job every
night, I'm told - no backing up only on the weekends, when I have a longer
backup time window.

So what I am wondering - what can I do to speed up this job? I don't think
I will be able to put a tape library/jukebox on this client, so I am stuck
using my existing library (an Overland 8 drive, LTO-4 fiber connected
library).

Are there any settings I can tweak to speed this up? Savegrp parallelism
won't help, since there's only 1 client running in this job. Server
parallelism is set at 32 (which is probably a bit high, anyway).

Client saveset definition is just "MSSQL:", since I don't know the names
of the specific DBs to list them, and the DBAs have a tendency to just add
new ones that I don't know about.

Suggestions? Where else to look? Some way to have it clone onto more than
1 tape at a time (is that "multiplexing")? To write out the cloned
savesets to multiple tapes at the same time, I mean, not to duplicate the
same savesets to more than 1 tape.

Thanks for any help.

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  The information contained in this e-mail is privileged
and confidential, and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any
disclosure, copying, distribution, electronic storage or use of this
communication is prohibited.  If you received this communication in error,
please notify us immediately by e-mail, attaching the original message, and
delete the original message from your computer and any network to which your
computer is connected.