Networker

[Networker] Error reported when recovering data?

2011-01-20 22:50:07
Subject: [Networker] Error reported when recovering data?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 22:48:59 -0500
Hi,

Using Linux RH with 7.5.1. I used nwrecover to recover a directory. Everything appears to have been recovered, but the end of the output reports:

Received 31069 file(s) from NSR server `server'
Recover errors with 1 file(s)
Recover completion time: Fri Jan 21 00:35:48 2011

recover command completed unsuccessfully on Fri Jan 21 00:35:48 2011

Also, it pops up the following error dialog box:

The recover command completed with an unsuccessful exit code. View the command output for more information as to why the command failed and possible ways to correct the problem,

Exit code: 1

I tried again using saveset recover, and basically the same thing happens.

I did save the output to a file. The output is lengthy, so I sorted it, and I could see a line near the bottom concerning a file that grew during the save. I then opened the file in an editor and searched for that line and part way through, I see this:

./monitor/logs/monitor.log.lck
./monitor/logs/monitor.log
32227:recover: `./monitor/logs/monitor.log' grew by 2585 bytes during save

./monitor/logs/

I also see the following from the savegroup completion notification:

client: /home/log level=full, 3728 MB 00:15:35 32624 files * <WARNING> : Warning - `/home/log/monitor/logs/monitor.log' size grew during save * <WARNING> : Expected 261118187 bytes for `/home/log/monitor/logs/monitor.log', got 261120772 bytes

1. Can I assume that this is in fact the error that the recover command was reporting?

I have seen these messages for sundry files for other backups, and that's OK, but I didn't think that the recover tool would complain about files that changed during a save? Is that the normal behavior for both browsable recovers and saveset recover?

2. How does NW know that a file grew during the save if you're doing a saveset recover? Where is that information stored? It's not reading the index during a saveset recover, right?

3. I guess NW walks through the directory and takes a look at the file sizes before the backup actually runs and so it knows that a given file's size has changed just before it backs it up or maybe while it was backing it up? Not surprising for log files. I could use logasm, but that only suppresses the warning, right? I don't really care about the warning. Just wanted to find out what the error is.

monitor.log was recovered, and its size is 261120772 bytes.

George

--
George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210