Networker

Re: [Networker] view the content in backup tape

2010-12-22 20:25:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] view the content in backup tape
From: Steven Veitch <s.veitch AT QUT.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 11:21:50 +1000
I think you are asking about a tape which has come from another networker
system and you want to read it.
If so You can rebuild the indexes of the files on the tape by using scanner
command on unix. Type man scanner to list the options

You will need to start  a mount process of the tape and after about 5 seconds
disable the drive using right-lick on the drive & SELECT 'disable".
The mount process should then still complete. If you wait too long the tape
will fully mount and you won't be able to select disable and you will have to
unmount and start again. If you time it right the tape will show as mounted in
the networker GUI

Make a note of the full device path of the   drive /dev/ntape/tape68_D1 or
whatever your drive path is

Then at the command line use the command scanner -i device-path . This will
read the tape contents and  rebuild index information about the tape.
Then you can browse the saveset information.

Steve