Networker

Re: [Networker] Strange autocreated volume

2010-12-16 17:38:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Strange autocreated volume
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 09:36:29 +1100
Hi Lars,

On 16/12/2010, at 22:34 , Lars Nilsson J wrote:

> I have a server running Solaris EBS 7.5.1.Build.269 and with DBO and recently
> i noticed some strange tape volumes that I haven't seen before:
>
> E      ~AAB015-1                945 GB full   expired    2 KB     4    800 GB
>       AAB015                  1087 GB full  10/02/11    0 KB     9    800 GB
>
> E      ~AAB017-1               1037 GB full   expired    0 KB     2    800 GB
>       AAB017                  1141 GB full  10/02/11    0 KB     7    800 GB
>
> Any ideas what's the causing the ~AAB0xx-1 volumes ?

When you relabel a volume in NetWorker, the process is actually a little more
convoluted than just a simple delete/recreate.

Instead, NetWorker, when it reports that it's deleted a specific volume ID, has
renamed the volume to ~VOL-1, and flagged the volume for removal on the next
media database cleanup. The ~VOL-1 volume won't show up in any media database
listing, etc., so long as the regularly scheduled purge operation actually runs.

If on the other hand the NetWorker server crashes or is unexpectedly restarted,
the delete-commit doesn't take place, and the ~VOL-1 volume starts to show up
in the media database. I have also seen this happen if the NetWorker media
database region becomes read-only prior to the relabel operation - e.g., if the
filesystem fills, etc.

Typically it's fine to just manually delete those volumes and move on.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise