Networker

[Networker] Solaris 10 x86 host could not init 5/6 after full OS restore

2010-12-15 11:54:31
Subject: [Networker] Solaris 10 x86 host could not init 5/6 after full OS restore
From: ddl1976 <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 11:53:48 -0500
>  Good suggestion, except that x86 doesn't have an "ok" prompt. It uses grub.
> Interrupt the boot process and edit the command line and add "-s" to the
> boot. That will boot it up to single user mode.

Dear all,

I followed exactly on what was documented on the Networker 7.6 SP1 DR Guide as
follows but still encountered the init freeze problem again.

- Install the Solaris 10 using OEM Full software cluster on a Solaris 10 x86
machine
- Install the Solaris 10 patch cluster which brings it to Kernel patch 142910-17
- Perform a full backup of this maching using saveset "All" via Networker
client running on version 7.6 SP1.
- Install a initial Solaris 10 base OS using Core User software cluster
- Install the same version of the Networker client
- Use the CLI recover command to perform a full restore overwriting existing
files on the machine except for the following OS files which was exactly
documented in the Networker 7.6 SP1 DR Guide

? Operating system boot files, such as:
? /unix
? /boot
? /etc/default/boot
? /stand/vmunix

? Other operating system files. For example, some of the files not to overwrite
on the Solaris platform include:
? /dev directory
? /etc/path_to_inst
? /etc/name_to_major
? /etc/mnttab
? /etc/dfs/sharetab
? /etc/rmtab
? /kernel
? /usr/kernel
? /etc/saf/zsmon/_pmpipe
? /etc/sysevent/piclevent_door

- Perform another recovery of the above excluded files/directories and direct
them to a temp directory in /var/tmp
- Reboot to failsafe mode and restore the above files to the original locations
and reboot
- Encountered boot archive inconsistency errors and boot to failsafe mode again
to rebuild the boot archive
- Perform reconfiguration reboot of the server to multi user mode and the
recovery is done

Anyone had successfully performed a Solaris OS recovery based on the DR guide
and would like to share your experience?
Thanks for enlightening.[/quote]