Networker

Re: [Networker] NSR ports for a client to use?

2010-12-13 15:32:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] NSR ports for a client to use?
From: jee <jee AT ERESMAS DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 20:30:10 +0000
Hi Michael,

On Monday 13 December 2010 19:38:57 Michael Leone wrote:
> Turns out I have a client that seems to be unhappy that NW might be using
> a port at 9201. So I will probably need to change my server ports to stop
> at like 9100. I see the "nsrports" command, to specify the range I want
> the server to use. Am I right in assuming that the clients will query the
> server for what port range to use? If so, how - do they make a connection
> on 7937 and ask?

That's right and that's the job of the port mapper. Clients query the server
(and server queries the clients)  on standard ports like 7937 and ask where
they should connect (i.e. where the other end is listening)

> I won't have to change all my clients, if my server ports
> now stop at 9100 instead of 9936?

That's also right. Just make sure that once you have defined your service
(i.e "listening") ports range on the server the firewall allows conections
from the clients to those ports (same for the clients' serviceports ).

jee