Networker

[Networker] How to view progress of a clone operation?

2010-12-13 13:33:22
Subject: [Networker] How to view progress of a clone operation?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 13:31:48 -0500
Hi,

Two questions about viewing the progress of a clone operation.

Let's suppose that I'm running a manual clone operation, using nsrclone, and it's processing a list of ssids (from an input file). What does it mean when nwadmin shows something like this in the Sessions window:

Cloning session 48 of 233 save set(s) reading from clone_volume 87 GB of 6687 GB

I understand that 6687 GB is the total amount of data that needs to be cloned/read, and 233 is the total number of save sets, but the value following the clone_volume has always puzzled me. This value will change, but it doesn't start at zero and increment all the way to 6687. Instead, it stays at a given value for a certain period of time and then changes to a new value, etc., etc.

Questions:
1. Is this number the size of the current save set that it's currently cloning (in this case 48 of 233), or is it instead the aggregate size of some sub-group of ssids that it's working on within the input file?

I'm unclear on how NW decides which ssids to actually clone first and/or in what order, based on the ones listed in the input file. I assume that it optimizes wherever it can, but because the original save sets are multiplexed to tape, it seems possible that it's preserving this multiplexing, so in that case, maybe multiple (interleaved) save sets (say, a sub-group of the ones listed in the input file) are being cloned or written to the clone volume at the same time, in which case the aggregate of all those sizes might be reported as 87 GB of 6678 ???

2. I still use nwadmin for viewing only (it has a few nice features that I don't see in nmc) but nmc for configuration changes and/or viewing. I can't see how to get nmc to actually show me this number. If I look under devices, I simply see the total that it's currently written to the clone volume, e.g.

rd=snode:/dev/nast1 clone_volume  writjing at 60 MB/s, 434 GB

If I look under Monitoring->Sessions->Clone Sessions, I see an entry, but no useful information, just:

Client Name Message Source Volume Source Device Start Time Duration %Complete Size Total Size Target pool
Server       cloning session                    12/13/10 3:25:32 AM
0                          Clone_pool

Seems like nwadmin is the only way to get this?

Thanks

George

--
George Sinclair