Networker

Re: [Networker] RHEL 6 support yet

2010-12-03 04:22:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] RHEL 6 support yet
From: "Voetelink D." <voetelink AT ECN DOT NL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 10:22:00 +0100
Hi List,

 > Does anyone here on this list have a RHEL6 server set up with an ext4
 > file system yet with Legato? We have some folks here that would like to
 > test it out. Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on this
 > subject. Thanks and have a great day.

It's no surprise that RHEL6 is not listed in the Software Compatibility
Guide. I would imagine it will be 6 months before EMC is willing to claim support for RHEL6 -- possibly longer because of the RPC changes.

Yesterday I was alerted that a new version of the Software Compatibility Guide was posted on the EMC site. As we all know, in the previous version CentOS 6 was supported, and RHEL6 wasn't.

In yesterday's version the so-called support for CENTos 6 was removed...

I was, however, surprised to see that there is no support for ext4 listed in the SCG. I think ext4 has been an option on SuSE for a while. Other filesystem types (Reiser, XFS, JFS) are listed as supported.

We're only beginning to play with RHEL6 in test environments, and I
haven't had any time to look at how much work it's going to be to back it up with NetWorker.

Backup is only the first step, don't forget to check if you can restore ;-)

Dennis

  D. Voetelink
  Systems Engineer

  Energy research Centre of the Netherlands (ECN)
  ICT Services

  Petten, Netherlands

  e-mail : voetelink AT ecn DOT nl
  phone  : (+31) 224 564738

 This message may contain information that is not intended for you.
 If so, you are requested to immediately inform the sender and
 delete the message. This e-mail is not intended to create a
 legally binding commitment and ECN accepts no liability for damage
 of any kind resulting from the risks inherent to the electronic
 transmission of messages.

 ECN, Dutch CoC number: 41151233