Networker

Re: [Networker] nsradmin - Script Savegroup information for clients

2010-12-02 10:20:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] nsradmin - Script Savegroup information for clients
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 15:20:10 +0000
On 12/02/10 15:11, Michael Leone wrote:
>> The original poster didn't specify what OS they are running, but from
>> the context I suspect it is Windows. Visual mode only works on Unix.
>> Also they are likely to be handicapped by not having the essential tools
>> (grep/awk/sed etc.) that Unix bods take for granted.
>
> Most of those tools are cross-platform, and can be obtained from the GNU
> folks. That's what I did. :-) But you're right; by default, they are not
> installed on Windows. Easily corrected, tho.

Most of these things can be installed as you say. Any Unix bod working
in a Windows environment for any length of time will probably do that.
Most Windows admins will have other favourite ways of doing things, or
just not be aware of the excellent tools that Unix bods use.

Sometimes it's worth having a Linux client around in order to do the
clever scripting bits.