Networker

Re: [Networker] Few question ..anybody has any suggestion ..

2010-12-01 14:22:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] Few question ..anybody has any suggestion ..
From: jee <jee AT ERESMAS DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 19:17:49 +0000
On Wednesday 01 December 2010 08:09:25 Denis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 1 - If clients are not backuped, you can check the logs. But if you client
> has been taken away from the group, you must write a script which scans the
> savegroup to compare with a list of clients that must be saved.
>

> 2 - On documentation, you will only see backward compatibily of supported
> version. I work with 7.5.1 server backuping version 6.1 client with no
> problem.

Not 100% true in all cases (considering all possible versions and platforms)
because there will not be access to patches for the older versions which may
have unexpected issues with the new ones. Don't wait for the problem to
happen because there may not be a solution.
This being said, if the old client is a simple client, I would not expect
issues, but forget about Storage Nodes and be careful with modules there
might be  issues depending on the server+client versions.

> 3 - #1 rule in computer science : if it works, don't touch...
> You can consider to upgrade if you want to use some new features
> (deduplication, encryption...) or if you experiment some bugs.
...or if  end of support for the installed version is reached. Also consider
the applications or systems you are backing up with networker. They will
become unsupported eventually, and the new versions of those applications may
require an upgrade of NW.
If you have to  touch something else you may need to touch Networker too.

I would not follow any advice to ignore supported versions. Support is a must
if you are in business. If there is data loss EMC (or any other vendor) will
not take any responsibility of unsupported environments and you will be
liable for any data loss you are not able to recover. You will be on your
own.

jee