Networker

[Networker] Problems renaming server during an upgrade

2010-11-29 11:00:28
Subject: [Networker] Problems renaming server during an upgrade
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 10:58:26 -0500
I've opened a case with EMC, but I'm pretty sure I know what they will
tell me. Just wanted to see what the list thought.

Networker 7.5.2, OS = Win2003 R2 32bit.

On Sat my co-worker tried to rename this Networker server, as part of a
process of renaming the server to a new name, take a backup, then
upgrading the OS to Win2008 R2. He was trying to follow the document ID:
esg67624. However, he said after saving the clientid of the server, and
renaming to the intermediate name in Windows, he was unable to start the
NMC, to complete the renaming process. Since he was short of time, he had
to continue his process of wiping out Win2003 R2 32bit and installing
Win2008 R2 64bit. He did install Networker onto the (now) Win2008 R2
server 64bit.

So what I have is a bootstrap backup (savegrp -O -l full) of the server
with the OLD name (since he was never able to finish the renaming and make
a new bootstrap backup with the new name). And the server now has a new
name and OS, and no media history. Is there any way I restore the media
history? Note: the server does have a DNS alias of the old name.

What I'm thinking is that I can make a client with the same clientid as
previously, and (when necessary) be able to do a "nsrck -L7
old-client-name", since the indexes are saved on tape. Then I should be
able to do recovers from the old server (semi) easily. Ideally, what I
want is the whole media history, but I think I'm outta luck to get that
(since the server name, OS and architecture have changed, since the last
backup). No "mmrecov" for me ...

Thoughts? Comments? Abuse and denigration? :-)

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM