Networker

Re: [Networker] How much memory on a server

2010-11-10 14:42:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] How much memory on a server
From: "Browning, David" <DBrown AT LSUHSC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 13:41:11 -0600
We use windows, not linux(unix), so take that into account.

All of our servers have 8 GB of memory.   I think that is at the low end
of what Legato wants, but every time I run performance monitor, it
always tells me that I have at least 5GB free, even during the heaviest
backup periods.   I've always wanted to add more memory, just to see
what it would do, but have never had the money...

We have 3 networker servers, plus some storage nodes, and backup about
500 clients..

Our biggest bottleneck is the NIC.  We do some dedicated storage nodes,
for direct backup to tape, but sometimes that machines can't push the
drives to their fullest.  We are working towards 10Gig, but haven't made
it that far - yet.

David M. Browning Jr.
IT Project Coordinator Enterprise Backups and Help Desk