Networker

Re: [Networker] Way to associate nsrnmmd PID to particular drive?

2010-10-25 14:27:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] Way to associate nsrnmmd PID to particular drive?
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 13:26:27 -0500
> Morton, Jeffrey
>
> On Windows 2003, is there an easy way to determine which instance of
> nsrmmd is associated with a particular tape drive?
>
> I am interested as I occasionally encounter drives hung in a 'ready for
> writing, idle' status and cannont clear this without completely
> recycling the server, which is not always possible.

Good idea, but I've had limited success with it. On unix (which of course
you're not asking about), 'fuser' can tell you that. However, once an
nsrmmd gets in a deadly embrace eg., with a balky device, I've had very
limited success with actually killing the nsrmmd and freeing up the
device. Many times the process become unkillable and it takes a complete
restart of Networker (or even a reboot) to straighten things out.

I wonder if it will work any better on Windows?