Networker

Re: [Networker] A few question on cloning

2010-10-25 07:33:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] A few question on cloning
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 07:32:02 -0400
On 10/22/10 10:57 AM, Skip Hanson wrote:
> All,
>   Hello again. As you may know we added scheduled cloning to the 7.6.1
> release. With your help we can continue to evolve this functionality.
> Therefore, I have a few questions for you regarding how you script nsrclone.
>
>   1. In what scenarios are you doing this?

Everywhere except the daily backup/clone of networker server.  We developed our
cloning scripts
in the 7.3 days when we were backing up exclusively to tape and found terrible
contention for
the tape drives (and the tape media) when we checked the clone option for the
save group.

>   2. Do you make use of the -J option?

We have not so far.

>   3. Do you make use of the -d option?

We have not so far (we're still using NetWorker 7.5 and the -d option is not
available).

>   4. How do you schedule the clone operations?

Manual start of the script on Monday morning when all the problems from the
weekend have been
addressed.

>   5. Would the ability to chain save groups or clone operations be useful
> (having a group or clone operation's execution tied to the ending of a
> previous operation)?

That is precisely the ability that our cloning scripts give us, it has a
control file structure
that lists the savegroups which are sequentially cloned.  Our script also has
the option (for
those groups that are still written to tape) to build the entire list of what
needs to be
cloned and then clone them all at once.

>   6. Would the ability to have groups or clone operations just run once be
> useful?

Sorry, I don't understand the question.  Please elaborate.