Networker

Re: [Networker] Migrating from Win2003 32bit to Win2008 64bit

2010-10-21 09:03:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] Migrating from Win2003 32bit to Win2008 64bit
From: Thierry Faidherbe <thierry.faidherbe AT FOREM DOT BE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 15:02:41 +0200
I did migration such an OS+Networker migration on the fly,
from a Win2000+NSR742 to Win2008R2/64bits+NSR7531 but not
with disaster recovery /mmrecov procedure:

My legato bin, data and index being under D:\Legato drive,
I prepared new Win2008R2 Server and installed NSR7531 kit+
savegrp hotfix (or now 7532) into temp D:\Legato.
Stopped Networker services and saved D:\Legato dir from which
I removed res, mm, index and logs sub-dirs and set networker
services as manual startable.

I did stop win2000 server properly, unmapped the Networker San
disk from old server and mapped it to the new one.

I renamed new Win2008R2 Server with same hostname that
Win2000 old one and booted like a charm. I replaced from
the disk the old D:\Legato with the new one, keeping
RES, INDEX, MM directories.

About drives, I created Persistence reg key to
keep tape device name permanent and had to reconfigure
library (lib scsidev path and drive name).

Finally started Networker like a charm.
(You can also create a Windows Snapshot of the HDD in case of
for easier rollback in case of)

Just then had to reauthorize lics from EMC Licencing dept.

All is ok since such migratopn.

Good luck,

Th

About the Persistence registry key
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Tape
3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
4. Type Persistence, and then press ENTER.
5. Right-click the Persistence registry entry, and then click Modify.
6. Type 1 in the Value data box, and then click OK.
7. Quit Registry Editor.
8. Restart the computer.

After the reboot, the tape devices won't be called \\.\Tape0 anymore. They
will be like \\.\Tape64364 and they will persist across reboots and topology
changes.

Kind regards - Bien cordialement - Vriendelijke groeten,

Thierry FAIDHERBE
Backup/Storage & System Management

LE FOREM - Administration Centrale
Département des Systèmes d'Information

Boulevard Tirou, 104  Tel: + 32 (0)71/206730
B-6000 CHARLEROI      Fax: + 32 (0)71/206199
BELGIUM               Mail : Thierry.faidherbe<at>forem.be