Networker

Re: [Networker] Stage from tape to tape

2010-10-15 17:07:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Stage from tape to tape
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 16:06:09 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Stage from tape to tape, Frank Swasey said...:

Since it can't actually delete the data from the source tape(s) like it could with a file type device, what happens to that affected data? How is it marked as no longer needed?

With the pointers in the media database removed, it is physically on the
tape, but it is unreferenced, so it is essentially gone.

Exactly.  It's there, but NetWorker has forgotten its existence.

 You can
actually find it with scanner (I think).

You can, which has important implications for legal discovery.

However, having staged all the remaining valid data off the tape, the tape becomes expired and will be reused by NetWorker when needed.

It's been years since I've actually done this, but that's the part I
wasn't certain about, because I was thinking it would make a difference
whether the tape was marked as full when you started the staging vs.
staging off a tape that's still appendable.  If the tape is still
appendable when you start the staging, I don't see why NetWorker would
have any reason to expire the tape.

Tim
edu