Networker

Re: [Networker] Can you run scanner for the same client multiple times simultaneously?

2010-08-18 11:49:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Can you run scanner for the same client multiple times simultaneously?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:48:27 -0400
Michael Leone wrote:
Hi,
   Yes you can run more that one scanner for different drives at
the same time.

Great!

But Make sure that you have enough drives for a backup to
run in case it a backup is kicked off before the completion of the
scanner.

In my situation, this won't be a problem, as these drives are marked as "READ ONLY" in the device configuration. I only use this storage node for restores from old tapes (we now use LTO drives, as backup drives)

What happens if you don't have those set to read-only? What would prevent the backups from using a drive that scanner is accessing? Is the scanner command outside the purview of running save processes or recovers? Would there be a collision? I'm just asking for clarity so I have a better understanding of the dangers.

Since I don't/can't backup to these drives, they also don't use a storage node license. :-)

Why would this not use a license? I thought read or write would use a license?

George

George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
- The preceding message is personal and does not reflect any official or unofficial position of the United States Department of Commerce -